Welcome to the Layer product update for June. Here are the changes that we made last month:
New to Layer
Per-commit review dashboard: A page for each deployment is created every time new code is pushed to help you review and debug proposed changes faster
- The per-commit review dashboard is accessible in two ways:
- Navigate to the menu on the left from the organization dashboard.
- While on the ‘Recent Commits’ page, click an individual Layerfile. In the dropdown menu that appears, click ‘VISIT DEPLOYMENT DASHBOARD’.
- A screenshot of the deployment is visible at the top left corner of each page:
- Each Layerfile starts an independent virtual machine, with the ability to interact with it via the terminal.
- Ability to view the built files in the runner itself using the file browser (pictured in screenshot above, on the left).
- Ability to view the website in the Layerfile.
Improved user experiences
Slack: now team members and managers can quickly and easily see what their team is building via Slack.
Users can subscribe to a repository in a channel by entering `/LayerCI subscribe [repository owner]/[repository name]` in a public Slack channel of your choice.
- More information on the Slack integration can be found in the integration documentation page.
- Self-serve Stripe billing: ability to change payment method and opt-in to monthly receipts, by navigating to the billing page within the settings menu.
- Addition of more case studies to our footer (Pulley, Fellow, Welcome, Vitau, and BioBox).
- Home page improvements.
- General performance fixes (improvements to our proxy so that pages load faster when clicking ‘VIEW WEBSITE’).
- Deployment specific performance improvements (old files can be rebuilt and recreated with a single click, progress bar to indicate rebuild status).
Events that happened during June
- freeCodeCamp.org “DevOps Engineering Course for Beginners” release: Want a comprehensive overview of DevOps tools and methodology, taught by Layer’s CEO, Colin Chartier? Learn more and find the entire course here:
- June 29th: Technical Workshop: Code Coverage Best Practices with James Kessler from Coveralls: Want to learn how to optimize your team’s code coverage with your Layer pipelines? Check out Coveralls’ CI setup documentation.